OT: Quote of the day

Joseph McAllister pentaxian at mac.com
Sat Oct 3 00:43:20 EDT 2009

OMG> In the inter-sector gap? In my day we never even considered the
ISG. I do remember discussions about being able to buffer enough read
to do a linear read for small files.

Giving it some thought just now, I guess the 7200rpm hard drives, even
10,000rpm drives, read sequentially as well.  Whew!  To be expected, I
suppose, but I got out of the trenches 15 years ago. Couldn't deal
with 32bit. I have a 8 bit mind upgraded to 16 bit. After that, it
works or I call tech support, usually to find out they don't have a
clue anyhow. And I've never met a FAQ that had an answer for me.

:-(

On Oct 2, 2009, at 20:57 , Doug Franklin wrote:

> Joseph McAllister wrote:
>
>> Hard drives worked the same way back when. I do not know how the
>> formatting and sector addressing works these days. I imagine it's
>> been modified to allow for faster reading and writing.
>
> You had to do things like that back before the logic was fast enough
> to process a sector entirely in the inter-sector gap (ISG). There
> was a time when the fastest computers could only do 3:1 interleaving.

Joseph McAllister
pentaxian at mac.com

“ It is still true, as was first said many years ago, that people are
the only sophisticated computing devices that can be made at low cost
by unskilled workers!”
— Martin G. Wolf, PhD