how many (US) national parks have you been to?

John Sessoms jsessoms002 at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 2 23:09:06 EDT 2009

From: ann sanfedele
> John Sessoms wrote:
>
>> > From: ann sanfedele

>> > I'm not watching because I still don't have a TV, and there's not
>> > enough else worth watching for me to buy one. Plus, I already don't
>> > spend enough time actually working on my photography, I don't need
>> > another excuse for not getting busy.
>> >
>> > If my count is correct - 39.
>
> ya almost caught me  :-)
>
> I was tv- less for 20 years -  1960 to 1980  -  I'm glad to "meet"
> someone who is as interested in the Parks as am I.

Except for one year (Aug 2005 - Sep 2006) when I had an old TV someone
gave me because the apartment I was living in while going to school had
free cable, I've been TV less since 1996.

I watched a little National Geographic Channel, some History Channel and
some Discovery Channel then if I had insomnia, but school didn't leave
me much free time.

About a week after I moved back into my house from school, I came home
and smelled smoke. The TV was doing something even though it wasn't
turned on. Out the door it went. I hadn't even watched it - no cable and
hadn't had time to pick up a set of rabbit ears for it.

---------------

As far as parks are concerned, I'm going on the theory if they're on the
nps.gov website, they're parks; whether they're named park, monument,
historic site, seashore, parkway or what.

Nps.gov lists it, it's a park for my purposes.

The FAQ for the Blue Ridge Parkway says it's a National Park even if
it's called a Parkway.

If you add in National Forests and National Wildlife Refuges it just
about doubles my number.

I looked at the list of the 58 "parks" and when they were created and
noticed I have been to the two most recently created "parks", and that
several parks I visited were apparently not national parks the first
time I visited there - Death Valley, Saguaro, Petrified Forest and Congaree.