OT: Quote of the day

Joseph McAllister pentaxian at mac.com
Fri Oct 2 22:34:49 EDT 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 19:21 , Doug Franklin wrote:

> Graydon wrote:
>
>> I am typing this is in a terminal window, using a text editor (Vim)
>> that
>> has its line wrap set to 72 for email.
>
> That's because the last eight "digits" of the 80-column card were
> typically reserved for the "card sequence numbers" to fix you up
> when you dropped a deck of a couple of thousand cards.

A schema that was carried over to sectors on floppy discs, in that the
last byte in a sector pointed to the address of the next sector,
allowing discontinuous sector writing (The first byte in a sector was
the address of the sector the data had just come from). Hard drives
worked the same way back when. I do not know how the formatting and
sector addressing works these days. I imagine it's been modified to
allow for faster reading and writing. I know Apple's OS-X keeps the
files continuous by moving sectors around on the drive when it has
some spare time. Can't think of the term at the moment.

Joseph McAllister
pentaxian at mac.com

“ The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.”
— Kevan Olesen