OT: Quote of the day

Bob W pdml at web-options.com
Fri Oct 2 18:44:36 EDT 2009

[...]
> In this age of wide screens, large screens, variable text
> sizes, and non-monospaced fonts, I'm curious as to why so
> many of the URLs I see posted are wrapped, for one thing, and
> not maintained after that wrap as a link?

Probably mainly a result of netiquette, a hangover from the days of
80-character screens, which itself was a hangover from punch cards.

But, see below

[...]
> How about we all take a look at what we've got, and free the
> wrap to it's modern equivalent, the window size dictated wrap.

That's a bad idea. Readability is severely reduced when the lines are too
long - it's why newspapers and magazines are printed in columns. Optimum
readability is about 40-70 characters per line.

The real problem is that web designers, especially automatic ones, make
their urls unnecessarily long.

Bob