OT: Quote of the day

Joseph McAllister pentaxian at mac.com
Fri Oct 2 18:35:38 EDT 2009

Speaking of computers, and interfaces, and ergonomics, brings me to a
question.

How many of you members of this list have screens that limit you to 79
or 80 characters in width?

I know on my Apple ][ and my original Macintosh Plus, that was the
screen width. As such, mail programs and word processing software
defaulted to a 79 column line wrap to prevent the ugliness of having
sentences disappear off the right hand side of the viewing space.

That was 30 years ago, and I seriously doubt anyone here is still
constrained by such mechanical bounds.

In this age of wide screens, large screens, variable text sizes, and
non-monospaced fonts, I'm curious as to why so many of the URLs I see
posted are wrapped, for one thing, and not maintained after that wrap
as a link?

I present that this is a result of settings set once, or by default,
that impose these limitations without need or reason.

How about we all take a look at what we've got, and free the wrap to
it's modern equivalent, the window size dictated wrap.

Thank you

On Oct 2, 2009, at 13:27 , Larry Colen wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 12:15:56PM -0700, Joseph McAllister wrote:
>> On Oct 2, 2009, at 11:24 , Bob W wrote:
>>

>>> "Windows is like the faint smell of piss in a subway"
>>>
>>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/sep/28/charlie-brooker-microsof
>>> t-mac-windows
>>
>> For second place I'd like to submit, from the same article:
>>
>> "using Windows is like living in a communist bloc nation circa 1981"
>
> Along those lines, I'd say that using Mac is like living in
> Singapore. It's just as dictatorial, but at least things work and you
> can generally do what you want to.

Joseph McAllister
pentaxian at mac.com

http://gallery.me.com/jomac