how many (US) national parks have you been to?

Tom Cakalic cakaltm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 12:56:56 EDT 2009

I've been to 31 official US National Parks. Probably double that if
you count National Monuments and such.  Almost all the National Parks
in Alberta and British Columbia, CA, and 1 in Mexico.

I find it mildly puzzling how concentrated the parks are in the
western half of the US.  Maybe because land was not already gobbled up
for other uses. Maybe because it was considered such a pristine and
alien landscape compared to other more settled areas.

I'd really like to go back to Denali and Wrangell-St. Elias in Alaska,
and the one I'd most like to visit that I've not been to is Hawaii
Volcanoes.  I've always wanted to shoot a picture of a lava spewing
volcano with stars as a backdrop.