K100 vs KM

MikeM mmo45018 at bigpond.net.au
Fri Oct 2 05:25:24 EDT 2009

My K10 and K100 both need repairing, I have been quoted $549 to replace the
circuit board for the K100 and the K10 shutter is sticking. I have decided
to get the K10 repaired but was thinking of replacing the K100 with a KM. I
mainly used my K100 for wildlife shots along walking tracks, such as small
birds, with my Tamron 70-300 or Pentax 18-250, depending where I walk. When
the K100 started rebooting, sometimes before the shot was saved, I started
taking the K10. As well as being heavier I have been unable to get wildlife
shots as sharp and noise free as with the same lenses on the K100. I also
have been taking more shots of each subject with the K10 because not all
shots are sharply focused. There is no problem with subjects like cityscapes
or portraits, it is mostly the low and variable light along the tracks,
especially when the birds flit about in and out of shade, where the K100
gets better results. I have been fiddling with the settings since I bought
the camera. I always shoot in raw.

If I buy the KM are the images likely to be more similar to the K100 or the
K10?

thanks
Mike