WB and exposure

Dario Bonazza dario.bonazza at virgilio.it
Thu Oct 1 17:12:12 EDT 2009

> Following the discussion about exposure and WB, I was skeptical that WB
> setting could affect exposure metering, as in a SLR the meter cells are
> independent from the sensor. So I've tested it on my K20D.
> I've taken three Av exposures in tungsten light (one with Auto WB, another
> one with Daylight WB and the last one with Tungsten WB). As expected,
> shutter speed was the same and the histograms of the three shots look
> identical.
>
> Dario

As a side note,  I believe the possible underexposure that someone noticed
when shooting under tungsten light can be due to reaching the lower limit of
the meter range. Once you're there, the camera stops incrementing the
shutter speed for getting a proper exposure in dim light. Be aware that
going below the lower limit of the meter is common when shooting shows such
as music indoors and the like.

Dario