More stream power

Adam Maas mykroft at mykroft.com
Wed Nov 7 01:13:23 EST 2007

N&W was one of the last of the great US roads to dieselize, although UP
would run steam longer after dieselization (UP tried just about
everything possible as motive power in the 1950's, but was primarily
diesel early on).

The J's weren't freight locomotive's, they were fast passenger
locomotives (The large drivers are typical for passenger units, most
freight locomotives had smaller-drivers which were slower, but offered
more traction). N&W's great freight locomotives were the Y Class
Mallets, which were 2-8-8-2's  with 16 drive wheels(the J's were
4-8-4's). There were 14 J's, but only 8 of them were streamlined (the 5
prewar J's and the 3 built in 1950, the other 6 built during WW2 lacked
streamlining as an austerity measure).

-Adam