DIGITAL SURVEY RESULTS

Cotty cottycam at mac.com
Mon Dec 3 18:43:29 EST 2007

Okay folks, here's the results of the recent survey I took on this list.

1/  How many DSLRs do you currently own?

No surprises here.

36% have 1
44% have 2
18% have 3
and just 2% have 4 DSLR cameras

2/  How many have you owned in the past?

This was a but ambiguous - sorry about that. I meant how many had you
owned previously, and not counting current (incumbent) cameras. However:

44% had not owned any DSLRs previously
28% had owned 1 previously
18% had owned 2 previously
6  % had owned 3 previously
4  % had owned 4 previously

3/ How many years ago did you buy (not just use) your first DSLR?

An idea to see how long people have been owning (new to them) DSLRs...

6  % have owned for 6 months or less
18% have owned for 1 year
16% have owned for 2 years
22% have owned for 3 years
32% have owned for 4 years
6  % have owned for 5 years
2  % have owned for 6 years

4/  What's the longest length of time you've owned a single DSLR camera?

So how long can you stick with owning a single DSLR? Makes no
distinction as to whether or not it gets used, just owned:

6  % have owned one for about 6 months
10% have owned one for about 1 year
20% have owned one for about 2 years
32% have owned one for about 3 years
18% have owned one for about 4 years
4  % have owned one for about 5 years
4 %  have owned one for about 6 years !!!

5/ When you purchased your first DSLR, did it live up to expectations?

I was curious to see what the satisfaction rate was. No surprise here.

94% replied yes
6  % replied no

6/ How long have you owned you current DSLR (if more than one, the latest) ?

So how long have owners had their latest DSLR?

8  % have had their latest toy for 1 month
2  % have had their latest toy for 2 months
2  % have had their latest toy for 3 months
6  % have had their latest toy for 4 months
1  % have had their latest toy for 5 months
8  % have had their latest toy for 6 months
2  % have had their latest toy for 9 months
52% have had their latest toy for 1 year
14% have had their latest toy for 2 years
2  % have had their latest toy for 3 years
2  % have had their latest toy for 4 years

I included the months here as many people were very specific. Most have
had their latest for about a year or less. Hmmmmm.....and so:

7/ Has your latest DSLR lived up to expectations ?

Apparently so:

92% said yes
8  % said no

8/ If a new model is released that supersedes - improves upon - your
current or latest model, will you buy it?

50% said yes they would
42% said no they would not
8  % were feckless and shied off

9/ If a new model is released that supersedes - improves upon - your
current or latest model, will you consider your current or latest model
'obsolete' ?

18% said yes it would be obsolete, although there were differing
definitions of 'obsolete' !
78% said no
4  % said yes, I mean no, I mean yes, I mean no, I mean.......

10/  Do you consider your first DSLR (whether still owned or not) 'obsolete'?

I was slightly surprised here:

only 20% said yes
and  80% said no

As for sex with a bicycle, well, there were 100% different answers, and
all amusing ;-)

So what have I learned?

See separate reply to this email.

--