New to both Pentax and film

Bob W pdml at web-options.com
Sun Dec 2 05:46:24 EST 2007

I think the Vivitar 283 has a tilt/swivel head, so on that score alone
it is better than the Pentax. The Vivitar 283 is a great classic piece
of equipment.

Working out the f-stop range for flash is straightforward, and you
will learn more about flash if you figure it out yourself rather than
have other people do it for you.

The exposure calculation is f-stop = (guide number / flash to subject
distance).

The important thing is the guide number - 120 at ISO 100 for the Viv
283, I think. It doubles for each one stop increase of film speed. (It
also changes with the film format/focal length - I have just bought an
Olympus FL-36 flash for the 4/3rds system, and it can be changed to
suit that format or 35mm).

If the iso you want is not on the scale at the back of the flash, you
need to close the aperture down one stop for each increased stop of
iso, or move the flash twice the distance from the subject to achieve
the same exposure.

--
 Bob

[...]