Pentax's Tatamiya Interview Part II, #2

K.Takeshita marinerone at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 19:25:55 EST 2006

Q: Was the shutter release time lag improved?
A: The blackout time during the mirror movement is similar between K100D and
K10D, but the process timing for other systems has been shortened and the
overall release time has been shortened.  We have not published any specific
release time figure as we do not want attention to the release time alone.
Moreover, each maker uses their own criteria for the measurement and the
comparison is meaningless.

Q: When using beta model, the mirror shock seemed to be a bit larger.
A: It¹s probably the shock during mirror down.  It is AFTER the shutter is
released and should not affect on the image quality. However, in terms of
the overall quality feeling of the camera and the burst performance, it
cannot be taken lightly.  We realize that certain high end models of
competitions utilize more robust mirror damping. Regrettably, we could not
afford to add it to K10D.

Q: Do you believe the 3fps burst rate be sufficient for this class of
cameras?
A: Frankly, it is the restriction by the device used for the camera.
Physical restrictions such as CCD signal transmission rate and 2 channel
reading resulted in 3fps burst rate.  However, if demands for the faster
rate increase, it would be necessary to consider higher end models with
faster rate, but at cost.

Q: Menu setting for white balance has been significantly improved.
A: White balance can be set via live view in the case of digital P&S but it
is not possible for DSLRs.  So, we have applied the digital live view
function being used for istDL2 (and its siblings) for the menu setting panel
of K10D.  When setting white balance, the optimum white balance can be set
by taking the data from the subject first and then viewing the actual image
to confirm the setting.

RE: DUST REMOVEL (DR) SYSTEM

Q: How does the new dust removal mechanism work?
A: Our SR system makes minute movement of sensor and we utilized it for the
DR system.  CCD is lifted first, then dropped both by magnet, whereby dust
would be dropped too.  This is an idea that was created during the
development of SR and patents have been obtained.  However, that alone was
not enough, and the application to K100D was dropped as its specs had
already been fixed at the time.

On the other hand, at approximately the same time, we have developed a
fish-eye zoom which has ³SP Coating².  SP Coating is a unique technology to
deposit special fluoride materials on lens surface, whereby making it
water/oil repellant.  For example, even if the glass surface is marked by
oil-based marker, it can be easily wiped off.

By applying this coating on the surface of low pass filter located in front
of the sensor, dust and speck would become difficult to adhere to.  There of
course are some dust which will still stick, but the adherence is
significantly reduced.  By combining this SP Coating and the old idea of SR
movement, very practical dust removal became possible. Dropped dust would be
gathered on the adhesive tape placed below the SR unit.